Trying to figure out what kind of windows you want for your home may seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Whether it is time for you to update them or you simply want to give your home a new look, here are eight interesting facts about windows that can help you with the selection process.
1. Old and leaky windows and doors account for slightly more than 25 percent of a household’s energy consumption. Lower that percentage by upgrading to new and more energy efficient windows.
2. It is recommended to replace windows every 20 or so years. Of course, if you happen to notice peeling paint, drafts, panes that accumulate ice, frost or condensation, you may consider replacing them much sooner.
3. Wood looks great but the cost of maintenance may be more than you can comfortably afford. Don’t forget to consider that wood tends to swell and contract when in hot and cold temperatures.
4. Aluminum is a strong and durable window material that is very economical for most budgets. However, you should keep in mind that it is a good conductor of heat and cold.
5. Vinyl is a great and low cost material for window treatments, but it has a tendency to fade over time.
6. Composites are a long term window treatment that is much stronger and durable than most others, especially wood and vinyl. However it is moderately priced and can be stained to match the color of any décor.
7. Curtains and certain types of window treatment aren’t the only way to gain privacy. Special coatings or films can be professionally applied to window panes to block UV rays and lower energy costs and help to protect your furnishings from fading.
8. Windows are an important feature of your home that takes up approximately 15 percent of its wall space. So choose your windows and window treatments carefully to gain the most benefits.
For more interesting facts about windows, contact the window installation experts at Just Add Shutters by dialing (615) 257-0666 today.